2014 Service Award
Connect With Us
Become a Sponsor
Citizenship Month offers many levels of sponsorship. For more information about becoming a sponsor see our Become a Sponsor page.Become a Sponsor
View Upcoming Events
There are many events already planned for the month of November. For an overview of currently planned events check out our Event Calendar.View Upcoming Events
Make a Donation
Making a donation to City of Houston Citizenship Month is safe and convenient!Make a Donation
Visit our Facebook PageVisit our Facebook Page
There are no upcoming events.
Jeanne Haner is a well-known designer of dichroic glass jewelry. Her artwork is created by making a glass “sandwich” of dichroic glass in her studio in Spring, Texas. Dichroic glass was developed in the 1950s and 60s by NASA, the Department of Defense and their contractors. The coated glass shields sensitive spacecraft instruments from the harmful effects of cosmic radiation and protects human vision from the glare of unfiltered sunlight in space. In 2009, at the request of NASA, Jeanne provided pieces for the 50th anniversary of the Space Shuttle. Her work was also exhibited at the Barbara Bush Library in the Summer of that year.
For nine years, she has been a regular exhibitor at the Yale Street Art Market (now the First Saturday Arts Market) in the Houston Heights. Her jewelry can also be found at Erica Delgardo’s shop on 19th Street.
She is involved with a number of organizations: HLSR (Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo); TPG (The Professional Group of Houston); IGGA (International Guild of Glass Artists); Coating Society of the Houston Area (past President and Board of Directors); Houston Food Bank; Hospice Compassus; and Houston Citizenship Month. She is a past President of Women in the Visual and Literary Arts (WiVLA).
Jeanne has participated in numerous Artcrawl Houston events. She joined the Atelier Jacquinet art team to assist in their Renaissance juried exhibition for their Artcrawl Houston 2014.
Some of the things written about Jeanne in the nominations:
- She is a constant at the meetings, always one of the first to arrive and the last to leave. Jeanne serves on both the Executive and Sponsorship Committees.
- Every time you see her talking to someone new, she would ask them if they have heard of Citizenship Month, and then promptly reach into her purse to hand out one of her ready stash of buttons while describing what we do.
- Jeanne believes in the mission. She has visions of the continuing growth because of the importance of enhancing civic engagement and building bridges within the Houston community.
- Jeanne has been with Citizenship month for five of its six years. She has stepped up to the plate several times to help make things happen.
- Jeanne has been reaching out to potential sponsors. Was instrumental in maintaining and obtaining existing and new sponsors.
- Others on the committee do similar things, but Jeanne is one that follows through on the activities that she initiates, taking them from start to completion.
- Jeanne spends countless of hours in her spare time, volunteering her personal time and effort to the initiative as well as other organizations.